Atlético de Madrid wants to sign Edinson Cavani and the Uruguayan striker wants to wear rojiblanco and get under the command of Cholo Simeone. But there has been a setback: Beckham Inter Miami has interfered in the arrival of the charrúa to the Wanda Metropolitano. AS has confirmed the news that Josep Pedrerol advanced in ‘El Chiringuito’ last night that the club owned by the former English player has made an offer to Cavani to play MLS. “His number one goal is Atlético, that has not changed, and he will wait for an agreement between Atlético and PSG, but the offer made by Inter Miami is very important and we must understand that this is a profession that, among other things, moves by the law of supply and market demand “, sources close to Cavani say to this newspaper.Remember that Beckham has excellent relations with PSG and Al Khelaifi and that could influence the decision of the Parisian club. And is that the former Real Madrid player, among other teams, played for the PSG in the 2012-13 season. In the following campaign it was when Cavani arrived at the Parisian team from Naples. These sources close to the Uruguayan player consulted by this newspaper understand, in relation to the “dizzy” Beckham Inter Miami offer, that “Edinson has at least three years left to compete at the highest level in Europe. We still have high hopes that he can go to Spain, but PSG and Atlético have the last word. Hopefully if it isn’t now, it can be in summer “.No newsThe brother and representative of Cavani continues in Madrid, where yesterday Monday he negotiated with Atlético de Madrid the conditions of the Uruguayan striker’s contract with the club rojiblanco. The idea of the entity chaired by Enrique Cerezo, who yesterday affirmed that “there is no news”, is that it comes in this winter market, as Simeone has claimed, but there is no agreement between the Parisian club and Madrid, “although the PSG is starting to give way”, confirm AS from the surroundings of Cavani. In this sense, L’Equipe has published that Atlético de Madrid would have again raised its offer for the Uruguayan striker, with a proposal of 15 million euros, but the PSG would have rejected it.What they have denied from the surroundings of Cavani is thatHe hasn’t said goodbye to his classmates in the locker room, as they have told in some French media. Still in Paris waiting for events.
BEIJING, China:National discus and Pan American champion, Federick Dacres, is not putting too much pressure on himself as he gets ready to compete in his first major international competition, the IAAF World Championships in Beijing, China.Dacres, who just over a year ago underwent knee surgery to repair damages to his meniscus and anterior cruciate ligament, is reaping the spoils of his first full season as a senior athlete and says he is looking forward to being able to give his best effort in Beijing, with one eye set on first of all progressing to the final of the competition.”I feel good. It’s my first real senior year because I was injured last year, and so it’s my first year finishing the season. It really feels good to be here,” he told The Gleaner.”It was difficult to come back from that injury. Being injured takes a toll on the mind, and I was worried about how I could get back and I didn’t want to be a has-been or something like that, so I just focused on getting stronger while I couldn’t use my legs and when I got my legs back, I focused on strengthening the legs,. and it has brought me here, so I feel good,” added Dacres.”I’m just throwing and hoping to give my best, and I hope that I can do something in the final, so I’m going in with an open mind to see what can happen,” Dacres said.The former World Youth and World Junior champion says he was boosted by his win at the Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association/Supreme Ventures Limited National Senior Championships, where he got the better of fellow World Championships qualifiers Jason Morgan and Chad Wright.”Every title counts, so winning the national title has certainly helped my confidence, and I’m going into the World Championships confident that I can do well and deliver on the day,” said Dacres. “Mentally, I am where I need to be. I have thrown 66 metres twice this year and I have had a good year, so my mind is here, and hopefully, my body will follow through.”Dacres’ season best of 66.40m makes him the second-best Jamaican this year behind Morgan’s national record of 68.19m and the 10th best on the planet.
Dear Editor,The debate on the presidential candidate of the PPP is dominating the newspapers. What I find interesting is that critics of the PPP are advocating a particular process to be used to determine the presidential candidate. What is even more interesting is that these same people will be in the front lines, criticising whoever is voted in as the presidential candidate, as we saw in the last Elections.These critics are fooling no one.I have read the comments of Ralph Ramkarran, and he advocates for the PPP to have a new system to choose its presidential candidate. But he is not a supporter of the PPP; his comments echo the arrogance of the Facebook crowd calling for all sorts of things – all of them being people who will not support the PPP, regardless of what position it takes. The PPP could select a ‘Ghandi’ or a ‘Mandela’ (hypothetically speaking, of course) and the critics will not support the Party.That is the reason why Guyanese, particularly PPP supporters, have seen – and should continue to see – past the façade being put up by the critics who are analysing the position of the PPP.The Party should continue to operate in a manner that does not allow detractors to influence its democratic decision-making process, wherein the 35 members of the Party’s Central Committee who were elected by the Congress vote on a presidential candidate.RegardsBaldeo Mathura
Thirty-one-year-old Cheddi Bacchus was on Friday slapped with multiple assault charges and appeared before senior Magistrate Leron Daly at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts.Bacchus denied all the charges. The first charge alleged that on September 19, 2018, at Norton Street, Georgetown, he used threatening language towards businesswoman Agnes Bacchus, who is his aunt. The other charges stated that Cheddi on the same date also used threatening language towards Debra Bacchus and indecent language towards Agnes Bacchus thereby breaching the peace.He also assaulted Agnes causing actual bodily harm and malicious damage to the said Virtual Complainant’s property.Prosecutor Sanj Singh made no objections to bail which resulted in Bacchus being released on $80,000 bail for all the charges. The case will continue on September 24.
Though November may be a quiet month in the mountains, the Canadian Avalanche Centre is reminding outdoor enthusiasts the slopes can always be a dangerous place.Greg Johnson is an Avalanche Forecaster with the Canadian Avalanche Centre in Revelstoke, B.C. He says while there are no warnings being issued for the Peace Region just yet, people should remain cautious when exploring the backcountry.In the 2008-2009 season, snowmobile avalanche fatalities skyrocketed, while backcountry skiing fatalities were few and far between.- Advertisement -Johnson says many snowmobilers misjudged the unstable snow pack that persisted for the better part of last winter.[asset|aid=2102|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=cebc72941195316b9d57a1df1a2cf8b8-Greg 1_1_Pub.mp3]He says, at this point, it’s hard to tell what the snowpack will be like this year, even though some officials predict a warmer season with the El Nino system inching closer.Advertisement The course will help participants acquire the basic knowledge and skills needed to perform rescues in the event of an avalanche. But, Johnson says this is the perfect time to brush up on avalanche safety skills.[asset|aid=2103|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=cebc72941195316b9d57a1df1a2cf8b8-Greg 2_1_Pub.mp3]Starting next week, the avalanche centre will be providing updates on snowpack conditions and avalanche risks throughout the province.In the meantime, anyone interested in acquiring basic avalanche skills can Click Here, and be directed to a free online course.Advertisement
SOUTH GATE – At least the San Pedro High softball team wasn’t shut out by La Palma Kennedy’s Brooke Turner for a third consecutive year. Turner and her Fighting Irish teammates, however, claimed the title of the Downey Tournament for the third year in a row, topping the Pirates, 4-1, at South Gate Park on Monday. Jackie Serrano struck out four and allowed five hits, and Dana Perez had a double and freshman Debra Lovell made several outstanding plays at third base for Downey. Carson defeated Paramount, 10-2, in four innings to claim the consolation championship. Vanessa Vasquez had three hits and three RBI, Valentine Nabayan hit a two-run home run, and Theresa Poni allowed four hits and one earned run to earn the victory for Carson. In the seventh-place game, Gahr topped Santa Fe, 3-1, in six innings. Junior Roni Alvarado struck out seven and went 2 for 3 with an RBI for Gahr. San Pedro’s Cuico, Downey’s Serrano and Carson’s Poni and Ashley Ventura were all selected to the all-tournament team. David Felton can be reached at email@example.com or (562) 499-1318. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The Irish (5-0) got all the runs they needed in the first inning on a two-run home run by Monica Aguilar. Pirate junior Taylor Petty (3-2) threw a high rise and Aguilar stroked it well over the left-field fence. “I’ve got to give (Aguilar) credit,” said Dobra. “Somehow or another she got on top of it and tomahawked it out of here.” Kennedy added an unearned run in the third and another in the sixth. Petty allowed just four hits and struck out seven. San Pedro (6-3) scored in the sixth on doubles by Korin Cuico and Vanessa Samudio. Turner struck out 12 batters and allowed four hits. In the third-place game, Downey defeated Torrance, 5-4, in six innings. For San Pedro, that was a slight improvement over 1-0 losses to Kennedy in the tournament final last season – in nine innings – and the semifinals in 2005. “At least I know Turner’s human,” San Pedro coach Tony Dobra said. “We got a run off of her.”
NEW YORK – The Postal Service, which mapped out social class four decades ago by separating people into ZIP codes, is about to give a new dimension to the adage “there goes the neighborhood.” This summer, ZIP code 10021 on the Upper East Side will become even more exclusive. About 50,000 Manhattanites, including Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, David Rockefeller, Rupert Murdoch, Ronald Perelman, Spike Lee, Tom Wolfe and Gay Talese, will be cast out from the ranks of 10021 residents. They will be relegated instead to one of two new ZIP codes, either 10065 (60th to 69th Streets, from Fifth Avenue to the East River) or 10075 (East 76th Street to East 80th). 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
0Shares0000Chapa Dimba Na Safaricom heads to Nyanza Region this weekend. Photo/COURTESYNAIROBI, Kenya, Dec 6 – The finals for the Nyanza Region Chapa Dimba Na Safaricom youth tournament will be played this weekend at the Gusii Stadium in Kisii County.Eight teams will take part with the winners progressing to the national final expected to take place in match, 2018 in Nairobi. This is the third regional final in a tournament which aims at scouting for talent, developing grassroots football, and ultimately propelling gifted players to the national team.Over 380 games were played across Nyanza region with 265 teams taking part in the competition that kicked off with group stages on October 14 and 15 in Nyanza West.“We have already been to Narok and Embu for the Rift Valley and Eastern finals and it has been an eye opening journey for us. Not only are we seeing top notch talent on display but football fans are also coming out in huge numbers to support their teams,” Football Kenya Federation (FKF) President Nick Mwendwa said.Two players from Rift Valley region champions, Kapenguria Heroes have already been called up to join a Kenyan Premier League side with David Majak who was the top scorer in Narok and Fredrick Krop have both signed for Kakamega Homeboyz ahead of the 2018 season.“Nyanza is one of the regions with incredible football talent so we expect to see some amazing action on the ground as we continue to scout for skilled players to draft into the national team,” Mwendwa notedThe boys semi-finals will see Awendo Academy from Migori play Nyamira’s Super Eagles while Ombek Red Devils from Rachuonyo will take on Manyatta from Kisumu.In the girls semi-finals Gucha’s Omobera Girls will play Plateau Queens from Nyando with Ekenyoro from Nyamira facing Migori’s Ugari Starlets.The winning teams from Sunday’s final will each receive a cash reward of Sh200, 000.“So far we have seen some wonderful football talent across the country. Already, the Rift region has produced Kapenguria Heroes and Tar Tar girls for the national grand finale,” Director -Consumer Business, Safaricom, said.“Mwingi Junior Academy and Ngakaa Talent Center have also emerged from the hotly contested Eastern regional finals. We wish all the boys and girls the very best as they prepare to contest for Nyanza region supremacy,” she added.At the grand finale, the winning teams will walk away with Sh1mn each and an opportunity to go for an international training and mentorship camp in London in April 2018.Safaricom has invested Sh100mn towards the program which includes Sh10mn worth of prizes as well as funds for renovation of select community pitches through a legacy programme.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today)
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has stoked the fire in his war of words with England boss Roy Hodgson, claiming Raheem Sterling did NOT say he was too tired to start England’s Euro 2016 qualifier against Estonia.The pair have been at loggerheads all week, following Sunday’s clash in Tallinn, after the 19-year-old was left out of the starting XI.The youngster has come in for criticism from some quarters, for his apparent lack of commitment, with some even questioning the temerity of the starlet to ask to be rested.But, speaking ahead of Liverpool’s Premier League clash with QPR, Rodgers insists Sterling did not complain of fatigue.“I’ve obviously read and listened to a lot of what has been said,” he said. “He (Sterling) has been absolutely incredible for me and what has been nice to see is his maturity as a young man; he’s 19, a full international and he will hopefully be a key player for England and Liverpool for many years.“This is a kid we bring up to be responsible and honest – lots of players will tell you they haven’t played when they haven’t felt right but this is a kid who didn’t say that.“What he was saying was he felt tired. I’ve had it a number of times here with Raheem where he has been tired in his legs but he has gone on to play in games and be exceptional.“What you do as a manager is take on board all the information from the specialists around you and you make your decision.“You have to respect Roy’s decision that he decide not to play him and play Adam Lallana.“What has been disappointing in the whole affair is it has been grossly unfair how the kid has been put on the back pages for something he clearly did not say.“For a couple of days it probably shook him a little bit but he was brilliant in training this morning.”You can listen to exclusive live national radio commentary of QPR v Liverpool only on talkSPORT this Sunday from 1:30pm 1 Brendan Rodgers and Raheem Sterling
Hector Bellerin celebrates scoring for Arsenal against Liverpool 1 Arsenal produced a devastating display at the Emirates on Saturday lunchtime to leave Liverpool’s top four hopes in tatters.The Gunners had a seventh successive Premier League victory wrapped up by half-time, with Hector Bellerin, Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez scoring in a stunning eight-minute spell.Jordan Henderson pulled one back for the visitors from the penalty spot after the break but any hopes of a comeback were extinguished by Emre Can’s sending off for a second bookable offence, and Olivier Giroud’s stoppage time strike closed out a comfortable win for the hosts.Arsene Wenger’s in-form side are now up to second in the table, although Manchester City can move back above them by beating Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park on Monday.A second straight defeat for Liverpool, meanwhile, means Brendan Rodgers’ faltering team remain five points adrift of the Champions League places.And the gap to fourth will grow if Manchester United are victorious against Aston Villa at Old Trafford on Saturday.All the pre-match focus had been on Liverpool’s Raheem Sterling after he had riled Reds chiefs by explaining in an interview not sanctioned by the club why he has rejected a new £100,000-a-week contract.The starlet, playing as a striker with Daniel Sturridge deemed not fit enough to start, would have been hoping to make headlines for the right reasons and he came agonisingly close to putting Liverpool ahead with 20 minutes played when he was inches away from converting Lazar Markovic’s pass with the goal gaping.But his impact was limited as Arsenal took control with a stunning spell of attacking football before the break, that was sparked by Bellerini’s goal on 37 minutes.After neat play from Ozil and Aarom Ramsey, the ball found its way to the Spaniard in the Liverpool box and he cut inside Alberto Moreno before curling a superb effort with his left foot past a despairing Simon Mignolet.It was an excellent finish by the young full-back, who had only scored once for the club before, but it was bettered just two minutes later by Ozil.The German, so often the subject of criticism, showed just why Wenger splashed out £42million to bring him to north London with a stunning free-kick from 25 yards that left Mignolet with no chance.It got worse for the visitors just before the break when Sanchez fired home an unstoppable third.The Chilean, who had snubbed interest from Liverpool last summer to join Arsenal, stepped past the hapless Kolo Toure on the edge of the pox and slammed a powerful shot past Mignolet.Arsenal eased off in the second half, and Bellerin’s needles trip on Sterling in the home box enabled Henderson to reduce the deficit from the spot.But the visitors’ momentum was lost when Can picked up his second yellow card with five minutes remaining following a foul on substitute Danny Welbeck.And Arsenal went to claim a fourth in the final seconds – Giroud firing past Mignolet to claim his tenth goal in as many games – to round off an excellent day’s work.