Tags Post a comment Mitchell was the head of virtual reality products at Facebook, which purchased Oculus for $3 billion. The Oculus team at Facebook has grappled with a number of woes, including a lawsuit and executive turnover, as it tries to make virtual reality more mainstream. Facebook bought Oculus because it envisions a future in which Facebookers will be able to share moments with their friends and family as if they’re all together in person. Co-founders at other companies Facebook purchased have also left the social media giant in recent years. That list includes Instagram co-founders Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger, WhatApp’s Brian Acton and Jan Koum and Oculus co-founder Palmer Luckey. The Instagram co-founders reportedly clashed with Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg.Mitchell said he’ll be spending time with family and taking time to travel. His departure also comes before Oculus Connect 6, a virtual reality developer conference that kicks off in San Jose, California, at the end of September. Oculus co-founder Nate Mitchell James Martin/CNET Facebook can’t seem to hold onto the founders of the companies it acquires.The latest departure: Nate Mitchell, co-founder of the virtual reality startup Oculus, which launched in 2012 and was bought by Facebook in 2014. Mitchell, the last Oculus co-founder still at Facebook, said Tuesday that he was stepping down.”Virtual reality is still on the bleeding edge of technology, and this community continues to pioneer the way forward,” he wrote in a post on Reddit. “What’s ahead is always unknown, and that’s what makes it exciting.” Some bittersweet news to share. After 7 incredible years at Oculus / Facebook, I’m moving on. It’s been a privilege to be a part of the VR community, and I can’t wait to see what comes next: https://t.co/M3XWASigvS pic.twitter.com/dhzPrdmpuP— Nate Mitchell (@natemitchell) August 13, 2019 0 Sci-Tech Tech Industry Share your voice Oculus Facebook
Two groups signalled their interest in buying the British assets of Tata Steel on Tuesday, offering hope that thousands of jobs could be saved after weeks of uncertainty.Sanjeev Gupta’s metals group Liberty House and a management buyout team called Excalibur said they had submitted an initial expression of interest in buying the assets ahead of a 1600 GMT deadline.The two groups had been racing to submit their interest after India’s Tata Group announced plans in March to sell its entire UK steel operation, which had been hit by cheap Chinese imports, soaring costs and weak demand.Keen to avoid the loss of 10,000 jobs, the government has offered hundreds of millions of pounds in support to potential buyers and said it could take a 25 percent stake in the firm.Britain’s Business Secretary Sajid Javid also postponed a major trade visit to Iran to focus on the future of the steel industry at home.Liberty’s Executive Chairman Gupta was the first businessman to express an interest in Tata’s loss-making assets which include the Port Talbot steel plant in Wales, and on Tuesday the firm said it had submitted a bid.”Liberty believes the UK steel industry can achieve long-term viability if based on an agile, sustainable, non-cyclical model,” the company said a statement.Liberty confirmed that Macquarie Capital and the State Bank of India had been appointed as financial advisers for the deal.Indian-born Gupta, who established Liberty House while a student at Cambridge in the early 1990s, has said Port Talbot and its jobs could be saved if the giant blast furnaces were replaced with facilities to process imported slab steel instead.Excalibur Steel UK, led by Tata’s UK strip products director Stuart Wilkie, also confirmed its interest, saying it had made huge progress in pulling together a plan that would enable the management and staff to take a stake in a strategic British industry.”We believe we have a large number of the pieces in place required to make this a success, including a management team with vast experience of steel making and processing,” he said in a statement. “We are confident we can turn the business around.”Last week, Prime Minister David Cameron visited Port Talbot and said any sale of Tata’s British assets would have to cover the whole of the business.Britain’s government has also offered help in lowering the cost of energy for steel works and with workers’ pensions to try to save the industry but says its efforts are not linked to the EU referendum on June 23.Those campaigning to leave the bloc have seized on the crisis, accusing the EU of not doing enough to stop Chinese imports and have blamed the bloc’s rules on state aid for preventing government intervention.
The Supreme Court of India on Wednesday extended the parole permit to Sahara chief Subrata Roy until July 11, reported NDTV news channel. The beleaguered businessman can now stay out of jail a month more than the earlier June 6 deadline.The release was warranted on a rider that Roy would deposit Rs. 200 crore with the Securities Exchange Board of India (Sebi) by the new date to avoid re-arrest.The Financial Express reported that the apex court also directed the securities market regulator to continue to auction Sahara assets to recover dues the company owes many small investors.The top court has also restricted Roy’s movement within the country. Meanwhile, Roy has submitted an affidavit listing out his immovable assets, and requested that the details be kept secret.The apex court had on Friday granted four weeks’ conditional release to Roy to perform the last rites of his mother, who passed away at the age of 95. The businessman has been in the jail for over two years over non-repayment of money to Sahara investors.
.Police recovered the throat-silt body of a missing fish trader from Panch Pukuria village in Paharpur union of Muradnagar upazila on Saturday night.The deceased was identified as Mostak Mia, 38, son of late Resho Mia Bepary of the village.Since Wednesday noon Mostak went missing after he left home for his fish farm in the same village, said SM Bodiuzzaman, officer-in-charge of Muradnagar police station.On the following day victim’s wife Parveen Akter filed a missing complaint with the police station, he added.Later on Saturday night, the guards of the fish farm spotted the throat-slit body beside the farm and informed police.Police recovered the body and sent it to Comilla Medical Collage Hospital for autopsy.
X 00:00 /01:10 Share To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: I-45 North is ranked as one of the most congested freeways in Texas. TxDOT hopes a massive widening project will help address a growing population. The work would include managed lanes in the middle of I-45 between downtown Houston and Beltway 8. The feeder roads would also get wider. But all that work requires more property. We caught up with TxDOT’s Danny Perez at a public meeting on the project. He says the residential neighborhoods north of downtown will stay intact, but they’ll have to acquire right-of-way between the 610 Loop and Beltway 8. “So we’re trying to get folks here now,” says Perez. “We can have the conversation now so at some point when we move forward we won’t catch people by surprise.”TxDOT is now taking public comment as part of its environmental study and officials say any construction is still years in the future. But Perez says once that work starts they won’t be doing it all at once. “It depends on the funding aspects,” adds Perez. He expects the project will be similar to what they’re doing on the Gulf Freeway with the work divided into segments. It’s expected the I-45 North widening will cost about $7 billion.Gail Delaughter People viewed plans for I-45 North at a recent public meeting. Listen
×Actors Reveal Their Favorite Disney PrincessesSeveral actors, like Daisy Ridley, Awkwafina, Jeff Goldblum and Gina Rodriguez, reveal their favorite Disney princesses. Rapunzel, Mulan, Ariel,Tiana, Sleeping Beauty and Jasmine all got some love from the Disney stars.More VideosVolume 0%Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcutsKeyboard Shortcutsplay/pauseincrease volumedecrease volumeseek forwardsseek backwardstoggle captionstoggle fullscreenmute/unmuteseek to %SPACE↑↓→←cfm0-9Next UpJennifer Lopez Shares How She Became a Mogul04:350.5x1x1.25×1.5x2xLive00:0002:1502:15 “When I first started making media, I was really inspired by the people around me who made me feel less alone,” she said. “For making content going forward, I want to see it as a safe space for people to come.”Adam Wescott, co-founder of Select Management Group, who counts among clients digital stars like Gigi Gorgeous, said digital media naturally attracts diverse voices.“We didn’t have to concentrate on (diversity) or call attention to it – it just happened,” Wescott said. “YouTube and social are the only places where you’ll find someone like LaurDIY, an Asian girl who has millions of followers. That doesn’t exist in network TV or in film.”Wescott said creators of color have been able to capitalize on opportunities to appeal to a base that isn’t catered to on other platforms. “It’s great that brands are recognizing that and you’re seeing top-level endorsement opportunities for people like Gigi, who works with Revlon and Google,” he said, adding that LaurDIY is also the face of Mudd jeans.“There’s opportunities that didn’t exist for diverse talent three years ago,” he said.Emiliano Calemzuk, co-founder and CEO of Raze, a digital media company that launched a year ago and has quickly become an incubator of Latino talent and video content that is attracting the attention of film and television studios.Calemzuk said online video has created an opportunity for Latinos to be the next generation of content creators, saying that traditional media brands have lost touch with younger audiences who consume online video almost exclusively.“This is a time for a next generation of content creators and a new brand to be born,” he said during a panel for industry leaders. “Let’s create a platform to give these people a tool.”Charles D. King, founder and CEO of Macro, said his 3-year-old media company behind critically acclaimed films like “Fences” and “Mudbound” is wading into digital media with a focus on discovering diverse voices.He shared a newly announced initiative with Black List and producers Lena Waithe and Eva Longoria that will invite writers of color to submit “ideas for review” by Macro executives and the Black List team. Semi-finalists in the review process will compete for deals to produce a $30,000 presentation or sizzle reel, with up to three winners that will be named in December. Macro is currently developing a digital series, “Gente-fied,” with Netflix. The streaming giant picked up the series about gentrification in east Los Angeles out of Sundance. America Ferrera is an executive producer of the series.King, whose background has been in film, said he’s cognizant of how audiences, particularly young ones, are flocking to online video.“Digital is a huge part of our present,” King said. “It’s (also) going to be one of the driving elements in the future.” Popular on Variety Diversity is front and center at Vidcon 2018, with women and people of color set to be featured prominently in panels and sessions throughout the week at the Anaheim Convention Center.Vidcon’s agenda features sessions on a range of topics, including a panel on the rise of Raze, the digital media company aimed at Latino millennials. Other panels focus on how digital media has provided creators of color opportunities to share with millions their perspectives and stories.Across the various so-called tracks — different events aimed at industry leaders, content creators, and fans — attendees have options for panels and workshops aimed at educating industry leaders and creators alike about business and marketing opportunities.Jen Ruggirello, a cast member with Buzzfeed’s LadyLike, said during a panel titled Not Your Token Asian Friend that before she began creating content, she didn’t see people like her in media.