“Our district is ideally good for the production of vegetables because it is not far from Monrovia where vegetables are most in demand,” says the Superintendent of Careysburg Statutory District, Lester Binda.By Caroline V. Garnett, UL Mass Communication DepartmentThe superintendent of Careysburg Statutory District Lester Binda has encouraged residents in his district to prioritize agriculture to increase the production in vegetables. He said he has cultivated 12 acres with a variety of vegetables including cabbage, lettuce, pepper, and cucumber.Superintendent Binda, in an interview recently on his farm, said he has embarked on mobilizing citizens in the various communities in Careysburg to grow more food in the district.“I am going around in the various towns and villages calling on people and encouraging them to engage in agriculture. Our district is ideally good for the production of vegetables because it is not far from Monrovia where vegetables are most in demand,” he stated.He said that some residents who are being engaged in farming are assisted by his office with tools, chemicals, fertilizers, and seedlings.He, however, said some challenges facing farmers in his district are the lack of market and the difficult to hire laborers.“We do not have a specific place in the district for farmers to market their produce, except the general Red-light Market. We are working to contact supermarkets around Monrovia where the farmers can sell their produce,” she said.“Since we took over we have been working to ensure that problem of youth unemployment is minimized by encouraging the youths to use agriculture for their employment,” he said.He said not much money is being allotted in the Montserrado County budget for the district, and it is one thing he is working toward.The superintendent said he has embarked on many development projects, including the renovation of the district compound and improvement of feeder roads in some towns and villages.“The Crozierville road is one of the deplorable roads in the district that we are working to improve upon,” he added.Binda also said he is working to unify the residents of his district. “I do have a very cordial relationship with the residents in the district. The people are always willing to agree with the decisions that I propose to them and I am always making sure to listen to them as well,” he said.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Professor Carolyn Rude, chairwoman of the university’s English department, said Cho’s writing was so disturbing that he had been referred to the university’s counseling service. “Sometimes, in creative writing, people reveal things and you never know if it’s creative or if they’re describing things, if they’re imagining things or just how real it might be,” Rude said. “But we’re all alert to not ignore things like this.” She said she did not know when he was referred for counseling, or what the outcome was. Rude refused to release any of his writings or his grades, citing privacy laws. The counseling service refused to comment. Cho, who came to the United States from South Korea in 1992 and was raised in suburban Washington, D.C., where his parents worked at a dry cleaners, left a note that was found after the bloodbath. A law enforcement official who read Cho’s note described it Tuesday as a typed, eight-page rant against rich kids and religion. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media. “You caused me to do this,” the official quoted the note as saying. Cho indicated in his letter that the end was near and that there was a deed to be done, the official said. He also expressed disappointment in his own religion, and made several references to Christianity, the official said. The official said the letter was either found in Cho’s dorm room or in his backpack. The backpack was found in the hallway of the classroom building where the shootings happened, and contained several rounds of ammunition, the official said. Col. Steve Flaherty, superintendent of the Virginia State Police, said authorities were going through a considerable number of writings. Citing unidentified sources, the Chicago Tribune reported Cho had recently set a fire in a dorm room and had stalked some women. Monday’s rampage consisted of two attacks, more than two hours apart – first at a dormitory, where two people were killed, then inside a classroom building, where 31 people, including Cho, died. Two handguns – a 9 mm and a .22-caliber – were found in the classroom building. The Washington Post quoted law enforcement sources as saying Cho died with the words “Ismail Ax” in red ink on one of his arms, but they were not sure what that meant. According to court papers, police found a “bomb threat” note – directed at engineering school buildings – near the victims in the classroom building. In the past three weeks, Virginia Tech was hit with two other bomb threats, but investigators have not connected those earlier threats to Cho. Cho graduated from Westfield High School in Chantilly, Va., in 2003. His family lived in an off-white, two-story townhouse in Centreville, Va. At least one of those killed in the rampage, Reema Samaha, graduated from Westfield High in 2006. But there was no immediate word from authorities on whether Cho knew the young woman and singled her out. “He was very quiet, always by himself,” neighbor Abdul Shash said. Shash said Cho spent a lot of his free time playing basketball and would not respond if someone greeted him. Classmates painted a similar picture. Julie Poole, who shared two classes with Cho, didn’t even know his name until Tuesday. After his antics during the first day of British literature class last year, “we just really knew him as the question mark kid,” Poole said. Cho spent much of that class sitting in the back of the room, wearing a hat and seldom participating. In a small department, Cho distinguished himself for being anonymous. “He didn’t reach out to anyone. He never talked,” Poole said. One law enforcement official said Cho’s backpack contained a receipt for a March purchase of a Glock 9 mm pistol. Cho held a green card, meaning he was a legal, permanent resident. That meant he was eligible to buy a handgun unless he had been convicted of a felony. Roanoke Firearms owner John Markell said his shop sold the Glock and a box of practice ammo to Cho 36 days ago for $571. “He was a nice, clean-cut college kid. We won’t sell a gun if we have any idea at all that a purchase is suspicious,” Markell said. Investigators stopped short of saying Cho carried out both attacks, although State Police ballistics tests showed one gun was used in both. Two law enforcement officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because the information had not been announced, also said Cho’s fingerprints were on both guns, whose serial numbers had been filed off. Gov. Tim Kaine said he will appoint a panel at the university’s request to review authorities’ handling of the disaster. Parents and students bitterly complained that the university should have locked down the campus immediately after the first burst of gunfire and did not do enough to warn people. Kaine warned against making snap judgments and said he had “nothing but loathing” for those who take the tragedy and “make it their political hobby horse to ride.” 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! What was emerging was a chilling portrait of a 23-year-old loner who alarmed his professors with twisted creative writing and left a rambling note in his dorm room raging against women and rich kids. Even when authorities identified him in connection with the shooting that killed 33 people, including Cho, some classmates in the close-knit English department didn’t know for sure who he was until they saw his photograph. News reports said that he may have been taking medication for depression and that he was becoming increasingly violent and erratic. A student who attended Virginia Tech last fall provided obscenity- and violence-laced screenplays that he said Cho wrote as part of a playwriting class. One was about a fight between a stepson and his stepfather, and involved throwing of hammers and attacks with a chainsaw. Another was about students fantasizing about stalking and killing a teacher who sexually molested them. “When we read Cho’s plays, it was like something out of a nightmare. The plays had really twisted, macabre violence that used weapons I wouldn’t have even thought of,” former classmate Ian MacFarlane, now an AOL employee, wrote in a blog posted on an AOL Web site. He said he and other students “were talking to each other with serious worry about whether he could be a school shooter.” “We always joked we were just waiting for him to do something, waiting to hear about something he did,” said another classmate, Stephanie Derry. “But when I got the call it was Cho who had done this, I started crying, bawling.” BLACKSBURG, Va. – His classmates knew him only as “the question mark kid.” On the first day of class last year, when everyone introduced himself, Cho Seung-Hui sat sullenly in the back of the room and refused to speak. On the sign-in sheet, he had put only a question mark for his name. Everyone knew Cho’s name Tuesday after he was identified as the gunman in the worst shooting rampage in modern U.S. history, but his reason remained a question mark. “He was a loner, and we’re having difficulty finding information about him,” school spokesman Larry Hincker said.
KUSI Newsroom The debate on gun control has been intensifying across the nation following the deadly shooting in Florida last week.Now, President Trump and others are calling for teachers to be armed with weapons at schools for added protection.KUSI was joined by Chris Holmberg, a teacher from the Poway Unified School District. KUSI Newsroom, Posted: February 23, 2018 February 23, 2018 Gun control debate intensifies with possibility of arming school teachers Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter
WILMINGTON, MA — The Wilmington Police Department recently had an incident of two individuals gaining access to a home posing as Water Department Employees. Several other area towns have had similar incidents. A Wilmington resident called 911 after two men came to the residence posing as contractors for the Water Department. They told the resident that they needed to do an emergency check of the water for lead contamination. In other cases, the males approach the resident and said that there was a water break in the area and that the resident’s water meter needed to be reset. These individuals will work together to attempt to distract the resident so the group may split up and gain access to the rest of the home.The Town of Wilmington Water Department employees operate town owned, clearly marked vehicles. If an individual approaches your residence or stops to ask questions regarding any utilities or permits, please ask for official town issued identification or call the Wilmington Police Department to verify whether the person is affiliated with the town. You may also contact the Wilmington Department of Public Works at 978-658-4481 during normal business hours. In almost all cases, the Town of Wilmington will notify residents if Water Department employees need to gain access to a residence prior to the visit.Elderly residents are most often the targets of these types of scams. We want to ask our residents to take a moment to speak with elderly parents and neighbors so they are on the alert for this type of unscrupulous activity.(NOTE: The above press release is from the Wilmington Police Department.)Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedWilmington Police Officers Recognized By US Attorney’s OfficeIn “Police Log”POLICE LOG for May 23: Police Arrest 4 Individuals; Shoplifting At Market Basket Leads To Drug ArrestsIn “Police Log”SELECTMEN NEWS: Board Supports Fire & Police Substation In North Wilmington; Town To Vote On Project In April 2020?In “Government”
ATM Azharul Islam, Muhammad Abdus Subhan and Syed Md. KaysarThe Appellate Division has fixed 21 November for the hearing of the case against three leaders who were sentenced to death for committing crimes against humanity.The leaders are ATM Azharul Islam, Muhammad Abdus Subhan and former state minister for agriculture Syed Md. Kaysar.A five-member appeal bench led by acting chief justice Md Abdul Wahhab Miah passed the order on Tuesday morning.The International Crimes Tribunal sentenced Subhan to death on charges of crimes against humanity on 18 February 2015. In the verdict, six allegations out of nine were proven against Subhan. Subhan appealed against the verdict on 18 March. On 20 September 2012, the law enforcers picked up Subhan near Bangabandhu Bridge. On 23 September, he was shown arrested for committing crimes against the humanity. Since then he has been in jail.For committing similar crimes, former state minister for agriculture and Jatiya Party leader Syed Md Kaysar was sentenced to death on 23 December 2014 while ATM Azharul Islam was sentenced to death on 30 December the same year.Kaysar appealed against the death sentence on 19 January 2015 and Azhar on 28 January.Hearing on appeal by Azhar and Kaysar was held on 13 August. The Appellate Division fixed 10 October for the next hearing. After hearing the appeal by Subhan on 16 August, the Appellate Division fixed 16 October for the next hearing.Attorney General Mahbubey Alam sought time for hearing on behalf of the state.Advocate Zainul Abedin was the defence counsel for Azhar and Subhan, and advocate SM Shajahan for Syed Md. Kaysar.
Congress ChhattisgarhThe Congress appeared to be heading for a landslide victory on Tuesday in Chhattisgarh, dealing a major blow to the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Election Commission officials said.After the first round of voting, Congress candidates were ahead of their rivals in 61 of the 90 seats in the battle for an Assembly where the half-way mark is 46.BJP candidates were ahead in 21 constituencies. While Chief Minister Raman Singh managed to reverse the trend after initially trailing to the Congress, all his cabinet Ministers were way behind their rivals.The alliance of Janta Congress Chhattisgarh of former Chief Minister Ajit Jogi and the Bahujan Samaj Party were leading in seven constituencies.In the outgoing Assembly, the BJP had 49 members and the Congress 39. The BJP has ruled Chhattisgarh since 2003.