to go further Crackdown on reporters covering Luanda demonstration AngolaAfrica News News February 17, 2021 Find out more July 16, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Independent radio station continues to broadcast despite suspension order Angolan police unleash dog on reporter covering protest Cyber-attacks against Angolan news site and reporter Receive email alerts October 28, 2020 Find out more News Help by sharing this information RSF_en Privately-owned Radio Despertar is continuing to operate despite a ministerial order on 8 July suspending its broadcasts for 180 days. Director Alexandre Solombe explained that he has so far managed to delay implementation of the order by requesting an official explanation for irregularities in the way it was issued.Solombe said that, according to the law, the order should have been issued jointly by the minister of posts and telecommunications and the minister of social communication, who supervises the news media. The order also failed to stipulate the date from which the suspension takes effect.On the advice of his lawyers, Solombe is also considering a court appeal, which could help to delay implementation of the order.————————————————-10.07 Government suspends independent radio station’s broadcasts for 180 daysReporters Without Borders condemns the government’s decision on 8 July to suspend independent Radio Despertar’s broadcasts for 180 days on the grounds that their current range, 400 km, is much more the 50 km stipulated in its licence. The suspension comes just one month before an election campaign is due to begin on 5 August.“Restricting media pluralism in the run-up to legislative elections will obstruct the necessary democratic debate,” Reporters Without Borders said. “Furthermore, the measure is illegal as it has been taken under decree-law 69/97, which was voided by a new press law in 2006.”The suspension was decided by the Ministry of Posts, Telecommunications and Angolan Media and was communicated to Radio Despertar director Alexandre Solombe by the Angolan Institute for Communications (INACOM). Solombe said his station is the victim of “an electoral manoeuvre by the government in the run-up to legislative elections.”Created under the peace accords between the National Union for the Total Independence of Angola (UNITA) and the ruling Popular Movement for the Liberation of Angola (MPLA), Radio Despertar began broadcasting in 2006.The station has been very successful in the capital, Luanda, especially in the suburbs, where many listeners participate in its phone-in programmes. Its current affairs programmes have been particularly popular in the approach to the elections. AngolaAfrica Organisation News Follow the news on Angola October 9, 2020 Find out more
BEIRUT (AP) — Dozens of Lebanese protesters, enraged at a nearly month-long lockdown to combat the spread of coronavirus, took to the streets of the country’s second largest city pelting security forces with stones. The protest that continued into the night Monday prompted tear gas from the security forces and the eventual deployment of army troops to break up the gathering. The protesters gathered in central Tripoli despite a strict lockdown in place since mid January aimed at containing a major surge in infection in the small Mediterranean country. Tripoli residents say their impoverished region can’t cope with a continued lockdown to contain coronavirus, which comes amid an unprecedented economic meltdown in the small Mediterranean country.
For nearly two decades, supermarkets have sold genetically engineered food. But many consumers, however, are not aware that the foods they are purchasing are either genetically engineered or modified.This November, however, a proposition on the state ballot seeks to change that. Proposition 37 would require all genetically modified raw or processed food to be labeled and would prevent any such altered food from being labeled as “natural.”The ballot measure does not place a ban on the manufacture or sale of GE food, and it exempts foods that are certified organic, alcoholic, served in restaurants or for immediate consumption or made from animals fed with genetically engineered material.Opponents of Prop. 37 argue that if the measure imposes extra financial strain on manufacturers, either through relabeling cost or through litigation suits, the extra costs would be passed on to the consumers in the form of increased food prices.Lauren Pacheco, a senior majoring in communication, said she believes labeling will not make much of a difference in the amount of GE food that is purchased.“I eat genetically engineered foods all the time, the corn and the chicken and all that, not on purpose though,” Pacheco said. “I think even with packaging, if it’s cheaper people will still buy it.”According to the California Official Voter Information Guide, 88 percent of corn and 94 percent of soybeans produced in the United States are genetically engineered, as well as much of the country’s zucchini, canola, cotton, alfalfa, papaya and sugar beet supply.David Lightsey, a physiologist and consumer advocate with the National Council Against Health Fraud, said the measure reflects uncertainty surrounding genetically modified profucts in the United States.“All the other developing countries are relying on the GE technology … we have used these things in Mexico, India, China and Pakistan for some time,” Lightsey said. “It’s much easier to ship a genetically modified seed than pesticides, which are more expensive and much more difficult.”Feeding a large population is another factor, Lightsey said.“The real issue here is can we feed the enormous number of people that we’re facing?” Lightsey said. “On a campus, people are not going to realize that we have over 7 billion people to feed now. In the U.S. alone, we have roughly 314 million.”Supporters of Prop. 37 believe that consumers should know the contents of products before purchasing them. “Right to Know,” a campaign backing the initiative, also said that genetically modified foods can cause environmental damage and might have an impact on consumer health.Callahan Jacobs, a senior majoring in biology and kinesiology, said she tends to be wary of these foods.“Based on the research they’ve done, [GE food] is definitely something they need to be monitoring,” Jacobs said. “We need more regulations and limitations on genetically modified food, especially for fast food places.”Some students said the labeling that Prop. 37 requires could help more people become aware of what they are eating.“I think they should be labeled so it would turn people away from eating such unhealthy foods,” said David Alvarez, a senior majoring in narrative studies.
LATEST STORIES Back on track Grace Poe files bill to protect govt teachers from malicious accusations Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss PDEA chief backs Robredo in revealing ‘discoveries’ on drug war Oil plant explodes in Pampanga town ‘We are too hospitable,’ says Sotto amid SEA Games woes SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte View comments Seoul suggested the joint application after a historic inter-Korean summit in April 2018, and Pyongyang responded positively to the idea. It was the first case of a joint inscription on the list.Dating back to the Three Kingdoms period (A.D. 220-280), ssireum is a folk tradition in which, standing in a sand pit, two wrestlers wearing long fabric belts around their waists and thighs grip each other’s belt and fight to topple their adversary.It was widely played on various holidays and festivals, though it has slowly lost its popularity and given way to modern sports and entertainment in South Korea. But in the North, it is still a popular sport, with a large competition held in Pyongyang at the Chuseok holiday every fall. YonhapADVERTISEMENT US judge bars Trump’s health insurance rule for immigrants Ssireum. Yonhap via The Korea Herald/Asia News NetworkSEOUL — South and North Korea plan to hold talks on ways to boost exchanges in “ssireum,” traditional Korean wrestling, at the North’s Mount Kumgang next week, a sporting body here said Wednesday.Park Pal-yong, the chief of Seoul’s Korea Ssireum Association plans to embark on a two-day cross-border trip next Tuesday to meet with North Korean officials in charge of the sport, according to the KSA.ADVERTISEMENT ‘We are too hospitable,’ says Sotto amid SEA Games woes Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. MOST READ “One of the items to be on the table is the co-hosting of the ssireum festival slated for June,” association official Jeong In-gil said.The event, named the Dano Festival, is set to take place in South Korea’s Gangwon Province, but that could change if the two sides agree to co-host it, he said, adding that several rounds of working-level meetings will follow to arrange details.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine football chiefSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesThe two Koreas also plan to work for the unification of the different terminology and rules of ssireum and push for personnel exchanges, according to the association.Such efforts have gathered steam since November after South and North Korea successfully pushed for the joint inscription of ssireum as an Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity by UNESCO’s World Heritage Committee.
COLUMBUS, OH – SEPTEMBER 27: Ohio State Buckeyes fans cheer on their team against the Minnesota Golden Gophers on September 27, 2008 at Ohio Stadium in Columbus, Ohio. (Photo by Jamie Sabau/Getty Images)A couple of Ohio State’s best players, Cardale Jones and Michael Thomas, took to Twitter this morning to voice their opinions on a social matter. The Buckeyes’ quarterback and wide receiver each published a series of tweets regarding the #BlackLivesMatter movement. While college football players (and most of the population) would probably be better off not ever going on Twitter, it was nice to see two of the sport’s premier players speak their minds. This apparently upset some of Ohio State’s fan base, as Jones and Thomas were both told by Twitter users to stop talking and just worry about the 2015 season. Jones, Thomas and Buckeye quarterback Stephen Collier then used Twitter to call out these fans. Cool it.. We can’t afford the NCAA suspending you https://t.co/bP2TJ9EqtJ— Smash Williams (@matteojustquit) July 23, 2015This my Twitter my voice so mind yah business buddy.. Thank you https://t.co/yon6DFmOK2— Mike Thomas (@Cantguardmike) July 23, [email protected] Sorry Mr master, I aints allow to tweet nothing but foolsball stuff I donts want you think I more than a foots ball playa sir— Cardale Jones (@CJ12_) July 23, 2015Ignorant. https://t.co/HtVjQSG1SH— Stephen Collier (@S13Collier) July 23, 2015One thing about your own opinion, ITS YOURS!— Cardale Jones (@CJ12_) July 23, 2015Every college football fan base has its share of psychos, so this is not an indictment on the type of people who root for Ohio State. Keep speaking your mind, Cardale and Michael.
Story Highlights The goal of the programme is to improve the personal, professional and social capacity of persons with mild intellectual disabilities, through profiling participants’ skills, developing their potential, supporting them with a job coach, and guiding their progression into employment. Some 152 young persons with mild intellectual disabilities are being assisted with personal and professional development skills, through the Empowerment Programme of the Youth Services Division of the HEART Trust/NTA. Since 2014, over 300 persons have benefitted from the programme. Persons who are interested in being a part of the programme in 2018 can contact the Youth Services Division of the HEART Trust/NTA at 754-9816-8. Some 152 young persons with mild intellectual disabilities are being assisted with personal and professional development skills, through the Empowerment Programme of the Youth Services Division of the HEART Trust/NTA.The programme which started in 2014, is a seven-month initiative consisting of a three week non-residential camp, followed by six months of supported work experience.The goal of the programme is to improve the personal, professional and social capacity of persons with mild intellectual disabilities, through profiling participants’ skills, developing their potential, supporting them with a job coach, and guiding their progression into employment.Director of Communications and Marketing at the Youth Services Division of the HEART Trust/NTA, Julia Smiley Green, tells JIS News that the target group is between 17 and 35 years of age.She points out that the programme arose out of a need to cater more specifically to persons in the community who are living with disabilities.“We believe that all young people should be empowered regardless of their status. Once they fall within the age cohort that we cater to, then we believe that we should be generating programmes that can meet their needs in a targeted way,” Mrs. Smiley Green says.She notes that many in society do not readily accept persons with disabilities, particularly in the world of work.“So, the idea behind the programme is to get members of the general public as well as our employers specifically, to understand that even though these persons might have a disability, they too have a contribution to make productively to our society,” the Director says.Mrs. Smiley Green tells JIS News that the Division encourages persons to have an open mind, and not to come to the programme with a perception that persons with disabilities are not able to contribute.“Yes, they may need a little more guidance and attention than the average person, but what we find is that in working with them, we realise that they too have their meaningful contribution to make. They may not contribute in the same way as other persons, but once they are exposed, once they are given the opportunity and of course with the training and support we provide, they are able to effectively contribute in the organisations,” she argues.Mrs. Smiley Green notes that the programme has received positive reviews from employers who have engaged the participants.“They would admit that initially, they would have been hesitant but they are very impressed with the performance of our participants so far. Because they have come in, they have performed well and they have not shied away from any duty. If they need assistance they are always willing to ask for it, and they adapt well to the task they are given to complete,” she says.“Even so, we find that some of the employers are even considering whether at the end of the six-month placement period they could engage them, maybe not on a fulltime basis, based on the scope of the organisation. But consideration is being given to engage some of them on a part-time basis, because that is how valuable their contribution has been,” Mrs Smiley Green adds.Even though there is an application process for the programme, consultations are also held with schools and organisations that target persons with disabilities, to assist in identifying some of these persons.When applying to take part in the programme, persons are required to bring along one passport size photo, copy of their Tax Registration Number (TRN), copy of their birth certificate, a Valid ID and a copy of their NIS number.During the training phase of the programme, areas such as employability skills, employee rights and interpersonal skills are explored.Participants are also given a stipend of $5,600 per week during the work experience component of programme, which is paid fortnightly.Meanwhile, Mrs. Smiley Green tells JIS News that the programme has been receiving support from both the private and public sectors.“We find that in terms of placement, more private sector companies are offering to take our participants. But generally speaking, we find that once the participants go into these companies, they are usually very impressive in what they do and that has aided our partners in realising how important it is to partner with us for that programme,” she says.She adds that the programme is always looking for additional partners to “come on board to assist us with not only engaging these persons, but to have them making worthwhile contributions to their organisations.”Since 2014, over 300 persons have benefitted from the programme. Persons who are interested in being a part of the programme in 2018 can contact the Youth Services Division of the HEART Trust/NTA at 754-9816-8.
Liverpool’s Mohamed Salah has won the Professional Footballers’ Association (PFA) Player of the Year award for 2017-18 seasonThe Egypt international beat fellow candidates Kevin de Bruyne, Harry Kane, Leroy Sane, David Silva and David de Gea for the award in being voted the Player of the Year by his fellow players in the Premier League.“It’s an honour and especially as it’s voted by the players. I am happy and proud,” said Salah, according to the BBC.“I didn’t have my chance at Chelsea. It was clear I would return and show everyone my football. I think I left and came back a different person, man and player. I am happy and proud.”Report: Origi cause Klopp injury concerns George Patchias – September 14, 2019 Divock Origi injury in today’s game against Newcastle is a cause for concern for Jurgen Klopp.Perhaps with one eye on Tuesday’s trip to Italy…Jurgen Klopp was happy for the star and jokingly warned him: “It’s been a fantastic ride but we still have games to go,”“But please grab the trophy and come home. We play on Tuesday!”Salah scored for Liverpool in their 2-2 draw against West Brom on Saturday to increase his goal tally to 41 goals this season.
According to the Manchester United legend Wayne Rooney, the team should do everything in its power to hire Mauricio Pochettino.Mauricio Pochettino is the number one option for many to get the Manchester United manager job.For the Red Devils’ legend Wayne Rooney, the team should do everything it can to secure his services.“First of all you have to give Ole an opportunity and that’s a discussion that has to take place with the Glazers,” Rooney was quoted by ESPN.Liverpool legend Nicol slams Harry Maguire’s Man United form Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Steve Nicol believes Harry Maguire has made some “horrendous mistakes” recently, and has failed to find his best form since joining Manchester United.“But if I had the opportunity to appoint someone, I’d go all out for Pochettino.”“I think Manchester United – certainly over the last 20, 30 years, since Alex Ferguson – have based themselves on youth players, young players, bringing players through,” he added.“I think [Pochettino] gets the best out of his players whether they are younger or older.“You see some of the young players he has brought through at Tottenham, at Southampton that have gone on to play for the national team, so I think he ticks every box in terms of his quality as a coach, but also his willingness to give youth a chance,” he explained.