May 20, 2011 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Missing photographer was killed six weeks ago in attack by Gaddafi forces on Brega February 23, 2021 Find out more News June 24, 2020 Find out more RSF_en On Libyan revolution’s 10th anniversary, authorities urged to guarantee press freedom News Organisation Follow the news on Libya Well-known Libyan journalist missing since his arrest Receive email alerts Help by sharing this information LibyaMiddle East – North Africa News to go further Six imprisoned journalists to finally appear in court in Istanbul Reporters Without Borders is saddened to learn that Anton Hammerl, a well-known photographer with South African and Austrian dual nationality who had been missing in Libya for more than six weeks, was killed shortly after disappearing in the east of the country on 4 April. It had been assumed that Hammerl was alive and was being held by pro-Gaddafi forces.“The civil war in Libya has been particularly deadly for photographers,” the press freedom organization said. “It is time this stopped. Reporters have been paying too high a price in this war. The authorities in Tripoli and those in Benghazi should give their troops clear directives to respect the work of journalists.”In a message posted on Facebook today, Hammerl’s family said: “On 5 April 2011, Anton was shot by Gaddafi’s forces in an extremely remote location in the Libyan desert. According to eyewitnesses, his injuries were such that he could not have survived without medical attention.”Reporters Without Borders is deeply shocked by the news, especially as the Libyan government had indicated on several occasions that he was alive. Austria’s foreign ministry had also said on 25 April that he was alive and that it was negotiating his release with the authorities in Tripoli.As a result of Libyan government spokesman Moussa Ibrahim’s statements on 17 May, it was assumed that Hammerl was about to be released along with American reporter Clare Morgana Gillis, British reporter James Foley and Spanish photographer Manu Brabo. But the next day Ibrahim said there had been a mix-up and that Hammerl “has not been located.”It was these three journalists who, on being released on 18 May, reported that Hammerl sustained a gunshot injury that was almost certainly fatal during an attack by government forces on the oil town of Brega on 5 April. It was at the end of this attack that the three other journalists were captured. Foley, who works for GlobalPost, said they had all been reporting from the rebel side on the outskirts of Brega.Aged 41, married and the father of two children (one aged just three months), Hammerl was based in the United Kingdom. Reporters Without Borders offers its condolences to his family and colleagues, and calls on the Libyan authorities to explain their repeated lies since 5 April.Hammerl’s death brings to five the number of journalists killed in Libya since the start of the war in mid-February. Tim Hetherington, a British photojournalist working for Vanity Fair, and Chris Hondros, a US photojournalist working for Getty Images, were killed by a mortar round in Misrata on 20 April. Ali Hassan Al Jaber, a Qatari cameraman working for Al-Jazeera, was killed in an ambush near Benghazi on 12 March. Mohamed “Mo” Al-Nabous, a Libyan journalist and blogger who was one of the founders of the Libyan TV station Al-Hurra, was killed by a sniper in Benghazi on 19 March.Reporters Without Borders is relieved to learn that Lotfi Ghars, a journalist with Tunisian and Canadian dual nationality working for the Iranian TV station Al-Alam, was released on the evening of 18 March after being held for two months. LibyaMiddle East – North Africa News December 17, 2019 Find out more
Board to take up technology and practice issues August 1, 2002 Regular News Board to take up technology and practice issues Final reports and recommendations in two areas that symbolize the changing legal world — both technological and daily practice — are scheduled for the Bar Board of Governors meeting August 16 in Sarasota.The Technology Task Force is set to make a final presentation, with budget figures, for the proposed new Bar World Wide Web portal. The portal, free to Bar members, will offer e-mail service, free online legal research services, and other benefits for Florida’s lawyers.And the Unbundled Legal Services Special Committee II is scheduled to make its recommendations on the Supreme Court mandate to develop a rule that will allow lawyers to provide unbundled legal services in family law matters.The cost for the web portal, tentatively called MyFloridaBar, is $150,000 for the 2002-03 budget year and $95,000 for the following year. The plans call for each user to be able to customize the service to receive, for example, law updates and CLE notices for his or her practice area.Other projected services include access to online discussion groups on various legal issues, user ability to link to news services and market reports, online access to SEC and other government reports and documents, online access to legal forms, and a user-selected set of links.The board gave tentative approval to the proposal at its May meeting, subject to final budget figures and nailing down details for the program. If approved, it could be offered to Bar members this fall.The program is similar to one set up by the State Bar of Texas, which has signed up almost half of that bar’s membership. A Texas lawyer who helped created that system, Craig Ball, has been hired as an advisor for The Florida Bar’s effort.The unbundled committee was appointed last April by immediate past Bar President Terry Russell, following up on a Supreme Court request that the Bar draw up a rule addressing unbundled services in the family law area. The court specifically asked that the rules address in-court representation by lawyers in family law matters.The court said it has not prejudged whether such a rule is needed or desirable, but wants a proposal before it addresses the issue.Unbundled services are defined as allowing a lawyer to perform a discrete service for a client without undertaking a complete representation. For example, a pro se litigant might engage the lawyer to only make the court appearances in a case, or just do legal research or document drafting.The issue has been getting increasing attention as more and more Floridians, particularly in family law cases, represent themselves in court. In many areas of the state, most dissolution cases have at least one party acting pro se.The special committee was finishing its report as this News went to press.On other matters, the board will hear from a special committee appointed to recommend the Bar’s response three plans submitted to the Supreme Court on how government lawyers can perform pro bono services.And the board will get an update on President Tod Aronovitz’s Dignity in Law program.In addition, the board will nominate nine lawyers for three upcoming vacancies for five-year terms on the Florida Board of Bar Examiners.
After a mundane start it was the visitors who created the first meaningful chance of the day as Brede Hangeland met Cabaye’s whipped free-kick only to see Heurelho Gomes save from point-blank range. Almen Abdi was booked for tripping Yannick Bolasie and, from a free-kick in almost exactly the same position as his previous delivery, Cabaye again produced a tempting cross but Dwight Gayle could not get anything on it. Despite having plenty of possession it was not until after the interval that Quique Sanchez Flores’ Watford side came close to getting on the scoresheet when, after Abdi had been tripped by Joe Ledley, Jose Jurado stepped up and hit a 25-yard free-kick that came back off the crossbar with Wayne Hennessey beaten. The Wales number one was forced into action shortly afterwards as Craig Cathcart’s accurate long ball found Troy Deeney, whose pass was chested into Abdi by Ighalo – with the full-back’s driven shot not far enough away from the Palace stopper. The visitors alleviated the pressure by hitting back on the counter-attack, with Gomes forced to push a deflected Bakary Sako free-kick behind for a corner before Gayle turned a cross from the former Wolves man against the frame of the goal – with Cathcart doing just enough to put the striker off. Palace boss Pardew introduced Zaha from the bench after hooking him off at half-time in last weekend’s defeat at Tottenham and the winger was soon involved, bewildering Nyom with his pace before being tripped by the right-back right on the edge of the Watford box. Referee Anthony Taylor got the decision to award Palace a penalty correct and Cabaye stepped up to dispatch with aplomb and put the Eagles ahead. Gayle should have wrapped up the points with a little over 10 minutes remaining but he could only poke wide from close-range following Bolasie’s knock-down from Zaha’s cross. He came close again after staying onside and breaking clear to latch onto Bolasie’s pass but, after wriggling free in the box, he arrowed a shot just wide before being replaced by Fraizer Campbell. Watford rallied at the death but Ledley’s brave block from Jurado’s driven attempt summed up their afternoon and, after conceding at home for the first time since their Premier League return, they could not find an equaliser to take a share of the spoils. TWEET OF THE MATCH “Very good 3pts for #cpfc. Far from a classic but job done. Back in the top 6” Geoff Thomas @GeoffThomasGTF https://twitter.com/GeoffThomasGTF/status/648179375515561985 PLAYER RATINGS Watford Heurelho Gomes: 7 (out of 10) Allan Nyom: 5 Craig Cathcart: 6 Sebastian Prodl: 6 Ikechi Anya: 7 Almen Abdi: 6 Etienne Capoue: 6 Ben Watson: 6 Jose Jurado: 7 Troy Deeney: 6 Odion Ighalo: 6 Subs Steven Berghuis: 5 Nathan Ake: 6 Victor Ibarbo: 6 Crystal Palace Wayne Hennessey: 6 Martin Kelly: 6 Brede Hangeland: 6 Scott Dann: 6 Pape Souare: 6 Joe Ledley: 6 Yohan Cabaye: 7 Bakary Sako: 6 Jason Puncheon: 6 Yannick Bolasie: 6 Dwight Gayle: 5 Subs Wilfried Zaha: 7 James McArthur: 6 Fraizer Campbell: 5 STAR PLAYER Yohan Cabaye: Not many stand-out performances on an afternoon of little quality but Cabaye’s coolness from the spot earned his side the win. He also produced a couple of dangerous set-pieces in the first half and his unquestioned quality almost shone through the mire of this meeting. MOMENT OF THE MATCH Wilfried Zaha: Hammered by Alan Pardew following a first-half to forget at Tottenham last weekend, the former Manchester United man was relegated to the bench at Vicarage Road but came on with the game at a stalemate and instantly ruined Allan Nyom’s afternoon. Ran him ragged and earned the decisive penalty when tripped inside the box, with Quique Sanchez Flores reacting by hauling off his full-back soon after. VIEW FROM THE BENCH Pardew called for a two-game losing streak to be brought to an end and will be pleased to have taken three points from a Watford team who have already shown they will be hard to beat at home. He also did the right thing dropping Zaha to the bench – with the winger having the correct impact when thrown on. Flores made changes but will not have enjoyed losing his unbeaten home record as Hornets boss. MOAN OF THE MATCH While unable to match the level of boredom the Sunday stroll between Watford and Southampton produced here earlier in the season, this match, particularly in the first half, lacked both energy and quality. WHO’S UP NEXT Bournemouth v Watford (Premier League, Saturday 3 October) Crystal Palace v West Brom (Premier League, Saturday 3 October) Alan Pardew hailed the resolve of Wilfried Zaha, who was publicly rebuked by the Eagles boss after being hauled off at half-time in the defeat to Tottenham last week. However, the former Manchester United winger earned the penalty that decided the game shortly after being introduced from the bench. Pardew told Sky Sports 1: “I knew that if he was fresh coming off the bench he would cause a problem or two because he’s got that kind of determination to prove that I’m wrong, I like that. “He did really well and when he starts, it’s about having that concentration all the time.” Pardew was also quick to pay tribute to his side’s focus at Vicarage Road and was delighted they were able to put narrow defeats to Spurs and Manchester City in recent weeks behind them. He added: “Sometimes as a manager you want a performance that really lifts you and this lifted me today because our concentration levels were really, really high. The back four were terrific, they didn’t give Watford too much daylight at all today, but it didn’t take away from our threat. “We got ourselves a really great win in a tight game because we’d lost two tight games and we didn’t really deserve to lose in my opinion, particularly the City game, so it’s like drawing at City, drawing at Spurs and drawing here that would be fantastic. “If we keep going for the wins, it makes up for those games where the margins cost us, so it was very important we won today and I’m very pleased.” Watford boss Quique Sanchez Flores admitted Palace caused the Hornets some problems but thought the penalty decision was harsh. He told BBC Sport: “It was difficult to stop their attack, it was uncomfortable for us. We need to open up the pitch more. “We did not stop the counter-attack, we were disorganised. It was a very big decision from the referee to decide the match. I am not sure.” Yohan Cabaye’s second-half penalty proved enough to earn Crystal Palace all three points at Vicarage Road as Watford lost at home for the first time this season. In a repeat of their 2013 play-off final encounter, a penalty was enough to decide the game in favour of Palace – who move up to sixth in the Premier League following the 1-0 win. The game was evenly matched in the first half and both sides saw efforts come off the woodwork before substitute Wilfried Zaha was brought down in the penalty area by Allan Nyom – with Cabaye converting for his second Palace goal. Press Association